Books and Other Published Works
Sixteen Single Sentence Stories
Edited by Matthew Bennardo
Sixteen writers tell sixteen very different stories -- each one only a single sentence in length. In these quick literary journeys you'll meet astronauts, werewolves, knight errants, super spies and storytellers... The stories are comic, suspenseful, wistful, joyful and even epic... But each one ends before the first full stop.
Stories by Mari Ness, Megan Engelhardt, Alex Shvartsman, and thirteen others. Edited by Matthew Bennardo, with sixteen illustrations by K. Sekelsky. Read the free PDF here.
There’s an impressive amount of color and genre range in these stories, but also a touching amount of humanity.
This Is How You Die
Co-edited by Matthew Bennardo
The sequel to Machine of Death is more expansive than the original in every way. With more variety in stories and more illustrations (as well as some cartoons), writers and artists explore the series core concept even further.
The 31 short stories hop genres from mystery to fantasy to science-fiction to thrillers to humor. Published by Grand Central Publishing (an imprint of Hachette), the book was named both one of Publisher Weekly's Best Summer Books of 2013 and one of the AV Club's Favorite Books of the Year.
Read more at MachineOfDeath.net.
A marvelous collection, riddled with intelligence and creative reach...
Machine of Death
Co-edited by Matthew Bennardo
A top ten Amazon Customer Favorite in Science Fiction & Fantasy for 2010, Machine of Death is an anthology of original stories bound together by a central premise. From the humorous to the adventurous to the mind-bending to the touching, the writers explore what the world would be like if a blood test could predict your death.
The book includes 34 short stories and 36 illustrations, and is published by Bearstache Books. A second volume is forthcoming in 2012. Visit machineofdeath.net to download free PDF of the entire book.
The Time Traveler's Pocket Guide
The Time Traveler's Pocket Guide by K. Sekelsky contains everything you need to know before you get in your time machine -- if you don't care much about scientific or historical accuracy, that is. This humorous book contains practical advice, helpful charts, a set of emergency muttonchops, and twenty-one pages of illustrations.
The Time Traveler's Pocket Guide contains additional contributions from M. Bennardo, Jeff Huber, and Sanjay Kulkarni. For more information or to buy the book (it makes a great gift for Doctor Who fans!) visit the publisher at The Time Travel Bureau.
M. Bennardo is the writer of numerous published short stories.
Published in 2015:
Published in 2014:
- "Dress Me in My Finest Suit and Lay Me in My Casket": Clarkesworld Magazine, December 2014
- "A Guest of the Cockroach Club": Beneath Ceaseless Skies, November 2014
- "The Highwayman Come Riding": Daily Science Fiction, October 2014
- "Sun Tea": Fireside, July 2014
- "How Do I Get to Last Summer from Here?": Asimov's Science Fiction, July 2014
- "Edie Verona's No 1 Torch Song for Sid Slackmeyer and the Silverback Sasquatch": Lakeside Circus, June 2014 (Year One Issue Two)
- "Survivors": Daily Science Fiction, May 2014
- "The Use and the Need": Beneath Ceaseless Skies, May 2014 (Issue #148)
- "Six North American Birds and Their Migratory Patterns": AE, May 2014 (Issue #15)
- "To Detach Yourself from a Still-Living Creature...": Horror d'Oeuvres, May 2014
- "Slowly Upward, the Coelacanth": Asimov's Science Fiction, April/May 2014
- "Reflected Sunlight": Every Day Fiction, April 2014
- "Starcrossed": Daily Science Fiction, March 2014
- "The A - Z Survival Guide for Unaccompanied Minors in Wartime": Horror d'Oeuvres, March 2014
- "Last Day at the Ice Man Cafe": Asimov's Science Fiction, February 2014
- "Artist Wanted for Pictogram Illustration": Mad Scientist Journal, January 2014
Published in 2013:
- "The Black Veil": Beneath Ceaseless Skies, September 2013 (Issue #130)
- "Thing in a Bag": Shock Totem, July 2013 (Issue #7)
- "Lake Titicaca": This Is How You Die from Grand Central Publishing, July 2013
- "Arcana of All Ages": Goldfish Grimm's Spicy Fiction Sushi, June 2013 (Issue #10)
- "The Penitent": Beneath Ceaseless Skies, May 2013 (Issue #122)
- "Water Finds Its Level": Lightspeed Magazine, May 2013 (Issue #36)
- Rated 4 Stars by Carl V Anderson in SF Signal
- "Scarlet Fever": Kaleidotrope, April 2013
- "The Herons of Mer de l'Ouest": Lightspeed Magazine, February 2013 (Issue #33)
- Rated 5 Stars by Carl V Anderson in SF Signal
- "I Heard You Got a Cat, I Heard You Named Him Charles": Daily Science Fiction, February 2013
- "Outbound from Put-in-Bay": Asimov's Science Fiction, February 2013
- "The Fish-Wife's Tale": FISH from Dagan Books, January 2013
- "All the Things You Should Have Said": Kzine, January 2013 (Issue #5)
- "Thirty-Four Dollars": MENIAL: Skilled Labor in Science Fiction from Crossed Genres, January 2013
- "The Haunted Jalopy Races": Shimmer, January 2013 (Issue #16)
- "Final Corrections": Daily Science Fiction, January 2013
Published in 2012:
- "Desert of Trees": NewMyths.com, December 2012 (Issue #21)
- "Avocado Rutabaga Aubergine": Stupefying Stories, December 2012 (Issue #1.11)
- "'You're Heads,' She Says. 'You're Tails.'": Daily Science Fiction, November 2012
- "The Famous Fabre Fly Caper": The Journal of Unlikely Entomology, November 2012 (Issue #4)
- "On the Night Shift": Interstellar Fiction, November 2012
- "After Compline, Silence Falls": Beneath Ceaseless Skies, November 2012 (Issue #107)
- "Fearsome Critters and Friendly Giants": The Red Penny Papers, October 2012
- "The Book in Dutch": Three-Lobed Burning Eye, October 2012 (Issue #22)
- "No Onions": Stupefying Stories, August 2012 (Issue #1.6)
- "Reversals": Daily Science Fiction, August 2012
- "Selected Correspondence from the Pages of National Chronologic": Mad Scientist Journal, July 2012
- "Honesty": Spirit of Poe from Literary Landmark Press, July 2012
- "Oak Openings": Comets and Criminals, July 2012 (Issue #3)
- "Kakitsu": NewMyths.com, June 2012 (Issue #19)
- "Imagine Cows on Mars": Redstone Science Fiction, May 2012
- "Older, Wiser, Time Traveler": Daily Science Fiction, April 2012
- "Garotte": Comets and Criminals, January 2012 (Issue #2)
Published prior to 2012:
- "Starvation": Machine of Death from Bearstache Books, October 2010
- "Nightmare": Asimov's Science Fiction, October/November 2005
- "A Chromepunk Anthology": Strange Horizons, April 2003
- "Gadsden Tunnel, 1959": EOTU, February 2003
- "One More Lonesome Bluegrass Album": Elysian Fiction, 2002
- "Hot Town": Pegasus Online, 1999